QUIZ FUN QUIZ FUN QUIZ FUN QUIZ FUN QUIZ FUN QUIZ
Test your racing smarts
See answers at the bottom of the column. No peeking!
(Taken from statistics to the end of Saturday, Sept. 1.)
1. What jockey has won a whopping 39 per cent of his allowance races (14 per cent more than any other jockey)? (a) Paul Nolan (b) Tyrone Nelson (c) Rohan Singh (d) Jennifer Reid
2. What trainer has the highest win percentage (27%)? (a) Ardell Sayler (b) Chad Torevell (c) Blair Miller (d) Shelley Brown
3. What trainer's horses have produced the highest average win price ($12.20)? (a) Roger Hansen (b) Wade Rarick (c) Jerry Gourneau (d) Emile Corbel
4. What jockey's horses have produced the highest average win price ($17)? (a) Robert Reeves Jr. (b) Trevor Simpson (c) Christopher Husbands (d) Chavion Chow
5. Which of these horses has paid the highest average price ($11.40)? (a) Dance the Dance (b) Senator Matty (c) Balooga Bull (d) Pierre Lapin
6. What trainer wins the most maiden-claiming races (30%)? (a) Chad Torevell (b) Blair Miller (c) Ardell Sayler (d) Tom Gardipy Jr.
7. What trainer has the winningest 3-year-olds (30%)? (a) Ardell Sayler (b) Roger Hansen (c) Chad Torevell (d) Aaron Sayler
8. Who is the winningest jockey in stakes races (33%)? (a) Jennifer Reid (b) Robert Reeves Jr. (c) Trevor Simpson (d) Paul Nolan
9. Who is the leading jockey in sprint races (24%)? (a) Jennifer Reid (b) Rohan Singh (c) Paul Nolan (d) Tim Moccasin
10. What trainer has the highest percentage (36%) of route winners? (a) Aaron Sayler (b) Wade Rarick (c) Shelley Brown (d) Tom Gardipy Jr.
QUIZ FUN QUIZ FUN QUIZ FUN QUIZ FUN QUIZ FUN QUIZ
"Once in a blue moon"
Good for a VLT finalist, bad for ASD, terrible for a team
Her husband's name is Jack, the moon was blue, so why shouldn't jacks be the lucky charm last Friday for Leanne Smith in the month-end VLT tournament finale? And so they were--a line of jacks on her VLT machine multiplied five times gave the caretaker enough winnings ($77.50) to beat other finalists, scoop the $500 month-end prize and gain a berth in the $1,000 grand championship which will be held Saturday, Sept. 22. Way to go, Leanne.
VLT hostess Roseanne presents Leanne Smith with
$500 month-end prize
On the racing front earlier that night, though, hope turned to disappointment for Edwina Larsen, the owner of Jon's Golden Run, the 3-year-old colt who's been far from golden this season. She was counting on a "once in a blue moon" occurrence to turn around the fortunes of her horse in the fifth race. But she never got an opportunity to find out. That's because another "once in a blue moon" event was happening elsewhere. Namely, an ASD transformer broke down, darkening the backstretch so her race couldn't be run and neither could two other races.
Was that the end of rare events? Seemingly not. Vestiges of the blue moon seemed to extend into Sunday, hovering over a certain football field in Regina where a certain team found itself thoroughly embarrassed by a "once in a blue moon" score of 52-0 after changing coaches. Enough, already! Goodbye and good riddance, blue moon!
Simply the best
They came to the Downs to impress. And impress they did. Nu Frequency's state of the art lightshow and musical mix, producing a powerfully enveloping sound without distortion or the need for earplugs, turned on a sparse but enthusiastic group of onlookers at Wednesday's Ponies 'n' Party Hump Day Mixdown and had them looking forward already to New Year's Eve when the "dream team" of music and media specialists will unleash a bigger bag of bells and whistles. Watch for tickets in October. (The event was a sell-out last year.) At the controls above are DJ Tim Waters, Energy 106 DJ J.D. Francis and Jon Lesany of the Energy 106 street team.
"By far the best"
"Dear ASD: My name is Randy and I live in the Chicago area. Jockey Paul Nolan is my cousin. I have followed Paul to numerous tracks over the years and just wanted to tell you that ASD's website is by far the best I have dealt with--ever. It is easy to navigate and full of great information and the speed at which the race replays are available is staggering. Just some well-deserved kudos and thanks from a family member who seeks racing information every day. You guys are fabulous!" -- Randy, Chicago.
Thanks for the kind comments, Randy. You may be interested in knowing the website is attracting 50 per cent more visitors than last year and, last month, saw a record 60,219 visits to the site, producing 1.8 million "hits" for different pieces of information on the site. Derby weekend had the most hits (112,000 on Derby Day) and The Insider's "name the filly" contest was second in popularity with 91,000 hits recorded on Wednesday, Aug. 15, the day the contest was launched. The website address is www.ASDowns.com.
Looking forward to . . .
$250,000 in stakes at ASD
Some of the biggest races of the live season are coming up, starting a week from this Friday: the Sifton, Matron, Winnipeg Futurity, Gold Cup.
LAUREL BEGINS TODAY, FAIRPLEX ON FRIDAY: And Belmont begins Saturday. Racing schedule for September.
SUPER DERBY GOES SATURDAY AT LOUISIANA DOWNS: $500,000 1 1/8 miles race for 3-year-olds
Answers to FUN QUIZ
1. (a) Paul Nolan 2. (c) Blair Miller 3. (c) Jerry Gourneau 4. (c) Chris Husbands
5. (a) Dance the Dance 6. (b) Blair Miller 7. (c) Chad Torevell 8. (b) Robert Reeves 9. (b) Rohan Singh 10. (a) Aaron Sayler
How did you rate?
10 correct: You peeked!
7-9 correct: You know your stuff!
4-6 correct: Good try; these are tricky.
Fewer than 4: The stats players thank you!
Only nine days of live racing left!
Big nine-race card on Friday.
© Copyright 1996-2012 All Rights Reserved. Assiniboia Downs.
3975 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R3K 2E9 • Ph (204) 885.3330 • Fax (204) 831.5348